Friday 23 May 2014

Work is Worship, So work well to Enter Jesus’ Rest

“Come to me all who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens and I will give you rest.” (Mat. 11:28)

When we are fulfilling our duties we are not just doing our duties alone but rather we are worshipping our Lord. Here I would like to bring your attention to a famous quote “work is worship.”

Yes, if we are working sincerely, then it is turning out to be worship. Remember what the Lord has said to those who are working. He said “Come to me all who are weary and are carrying heavy burdens” (Mat- 11;28). The second clause is more important as it tells about what Jesus will give them. Jesus continue to say “and I will give you rest.” (Mat. 11:28)

How can we then enter the rest that Christ will offer? It is only when we work hard. And you know well that working involves a lot of responsibility and it’s our duty to work in honor of our Heavenly Father.


Whenever we are working insincerely, remember that we are disobeying the Lord who wanted us to work well. If we do not work well and we do not get tired we will surely fail to experience the rest that Jesus alone can give us.

I know well that we are living in a world where there is lot of malice, envy, hatred, discomfort, etc. Additional to these evils are the craze for power and money. Sadly, to satisfy many of these evil desires, people are looking for short cuts which involve illegal measures.

Leave all these measures aside. What our concern is how we perform our duties. Are we performing our duties with utmost sincerity and honesty? If then we have nothing to worry because Jesus is looking at our sweat drops, and is waiting to give us his rest.

It is his wish that we work for him on the earth. This does not mean that we need to take the HOLY BIBLE in our hands and proclaim the WORD OF GOD in front of the public. There are people assigned for it and not all are worthy for preaching too.

While I was in the seminary, it was a great dream for me to become a REAL MISSIONARY PRIEST who lives for others and not for himself. But I could not complete my priestly formation, might be because I could not comply with HIS WISH.

I know how well I used to pray in the initial stages of my priestly formation. But I was not able to keep up that same rhythm through the other stages of formation. If I had prayed so well as in the beginning I still would have been in the seminary as a Priest candidate. And it was really tough and very hard for me to understand that I was out of the seminary.

Now looking back, I feel that I was not sincere in my duty i.e. as a Priesthood candidate I must have prayed sincerely and with whole heart. Instead of Prayer, carving beautiful images on thermocol and paper wastes made me a good artist but not a good BROTHER.

In fact this might not be what Jesus wanted from me. He wanted me to pray as much as I could. Now I have no sorrow over my loss but I realize that it was not my choice but God’s choice to get me out there. Here I feel that I can do a little bit of Missionary work even when I am out in the midst of this adulterous world.

Life is successful only when you look at it with the right attitude. When we have a bright future ahead in what we are doing why we look back and get dismayed at our failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment